Proverbs/CATS

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Medusa at the Racetrack


Last Sunday my husband and I went to the vintage car show at Lime Rock Race Track in Lime Rock, CT. I love old cars, especially sports cars, but also touring cars. Truly the Jaguar E-type is the most beautiful, a quintessential sports car, and there were plenty on view. But I was really delighted by a Ford circa 1922, a picture of which is above. I wandered all round it, inspecting all the details of construction, and as I was about to walk away, I noticed the name painted on the hood, just above the number 29. Can you see it in the photo? (The glare makes it hard to read without a magnifying glass!) It reads "Medusa." Now, why would an early motor car be named Medusa, the former beauty turned Gorgon with snakes for hair? I have an idea, but I invite your speculations.

1 comment:

  1. I think the car would be named after the Gorgon so that it could turn its opponents into stone with a single "glance". In terms of cars with human qualities, I think of the Weasley's enchanted car in "The Chamber of Secrets"!

    ReplyDelete