Proverbs/CATS

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Leader of the Pack

Aeneid 1.364 contains the phrase dux femina facti to describe Dido as she escapes from Tyre and her wicked brother Pygmalion. I thought of this phrase tonight as I headed off-campus from an evening meeting, and the car ahead of me had a license plate beginning with the letters DUX followed by four numbers. I think it was a random collection of letters, like my fairly new license plate that begins with the letters EGB. (My husband and I were pleased to receive this random plate, as it brought to mind a beloved past member of our pack, a little Cavalier King Charles Spaniel named Egbert. Alas, Egbert was the runt of his litter, and consequently a dear.) So the Latin word of the evening is dux, ducis m. leader.

No comments:

Post a Comment