Proverbs/CATS

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

TINY PRINT

This past Sunday I was reading through the New York Times Magazine section, and I noticed an ad for Northeastern University, which was graced by a small rendering of the university's seal next to the name at the bottom of the page. Clearly legible on a tiny scroll in the seal were the words LUX VERITAS VIRTUS, and on a ribbon below the scroll, harder to see, were the words FOUNDED A.D. 1898. The Latin word lūx, lūcis f. means light; the Latin word vēritās, vēritātis f. means truth; and the Latin word virtūs, virtūtis f. ranges in meaning from manliness to courage to moral excellence. I had discussed the mottoes of Harvard (VERITAS) and Yale (LUX ET VERITAS) in my classes last week, and I was interested to learn Northeastern's motto and to see the addition of the powerful word virtūs. I also found this article about the evolution of the current seal interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment