Proverbs/CATS

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

IN THE BAG

Another trip to the grocery store yielded one paper bag, to carry the overflow from my two reusable bags. As I was folding it to save in a cupboard for future newspaper recycling, I noticed the company name printed in blue on the bottom: DURO Bag Mfg. Co., and my particular bag was labeled 1/6 DUROTUFF. Happily, my bag was also made in the USA, and carried the date JUN 17 09. I've sent an email to the company which, although their web page features a short history, does not explain whence the name. The company HQ are in Kentucky; if you are in the market for paper bags, check them out here.

I am guessing that the company name derives from duro (1) I endure, last, a really hopeful name for a paper-bag manufacturer. I love paper bags and wish more stores offered them in lieu of plastic.

Vergil uses this verb in Aeneas' speech to the Trojans after the shipwreck caused by Juno and Aeolus in Book One of the Aeneid: Durate et vosmet rebus servate secundis (line 207): Hang on/endure/be tough and keep/save yourselves for better things/good fortune. Two really good English derivatives are durable and obdurate. Another good trade-name is Duracell batteries.

No comments:

Post a Comment