Proverbs/CATS

Friday, August 28, 2009

DRIVING PEACE

An unexpected trip today to buy a new computer power cord yielded a Latin sighting. The salesman/owner of the business, when he found out that I am a Latin teacher, said that I would understand his license plate: PAX-1 and his email address PAX-5. License plates are often an amusing source of Latin and Greek; sometimes I give a creative assignment to my middle-school students to come up with a Latin license plate; my favorite from the past was AMOCANES. I have considered CARPE DM, but I do not feel comfortable with the abbreviation DM as found on tombstones and standing for Dis Manibus, to the spirits of the departed. Driving is dangerous enough.

Latin word of the day: pax. pacis f. peace, and excellent English derivatives include pacifier, pacifist, Pacific, pacificator. The Gunn clan has the motto AUT PAX AUT BELLUM, either peace or war.

No comments:

Post a Comment