Proverbs/CATS

Friday, July 8, 2016

Ancient Grains


A photograph in today’s Chronicle-Herald newspaper (Halifax) mentioned the Ceres Terminal in the port of Halifax, Nova Scotia.  The port of Halifax is still very busy, but I do not remember encountering this name before.  From a little research I was delighted to find on the company website a history of the name that does, indeed, go back to the Roman goddess of agriculture, Ceres. Even more interesting: if you click on the YTI flag on the upper right of the history page, you will see a list of working vessels, among which are names from mythology like Argus, Romulus, Aphrodite, and Atlas!

Grain has been on my brain lately, as I get to know some unfamiliar grains. I am happy to report that spelt, an ancient form of wheat, is delicious; this fact delights me, because spelt was the ingredient of much bread consumed by Roman soldiers! From Ceres we get the word cereal; the best cereal I have eaten recently is Spelt Flakes produced by Arrowhead Mills.  

No comments:

Post a Comment