Proverbs/CATS

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Rejoice!

This past weekend in Canso, Nova Scotia was the 19th annual StanFest, a music festival in memory of Stan Rogers, the great Canadian singer-songwriter. Perusing the festival guide brought back by a friend, I observed that Steeleye Span was one of the featured acts on Saturday night. I remember listening to Steeleye Span back in the late 1970s, but I could not remember the songs, so I looked some up on Youtube. I was delighted to find that one of the group's recordings was of an old Christmas tune called Gaudete. The Latin verb gaudeo, gaudere, gavisus sum means I rejoice, and gaudete is the imperative plural form meaning "Rejoice!" Let's observe a little Christmas in July, because the Latin lyrics are so clear. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment