Proverbs/CATS

Friday, August 1, 2014

He Gets Around

When my husband stopped the car in the parking lot of Mahone Marine in Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia recently, I stayed in the car and looked around. Parked next to our car was a small motorcycle, and I was amused to note that it was a Kawasaki Vulcan model. Vulcan was the Roman god of blacksmiths, the handyman, the craftsman of deities, known to the Greeks as Hephaestus or Hephaistos. I remembered also that a few days earlier, as I waited for my husband outside the Lunenburg Hardware store, I saw another incarnation of Vulcan in the form of a plastic lawn spreader.
And why not? Both the motorcycle and the fertilizer spreader are creations of mechanical inspiration. I'm sure the god would be delighted to see that his name lives on.

No comments:

Post a Comment