Proverbs/CATS

Saturday, June 29, 2013

So Long, Status Quo

I spend a lot of time in the summer reading, watching old movies on television, and listening to radio programs. I look and listen for Latin in our popular culture. One phrase I have registered several times since summer vacation began is status quo, the most recent occurrence being in the lyrics of the song Brave written by Nichole Nordeman and Jay Joyce and sung by Nichole Nordeman. Status quo is a Latin phrase that means the “existing state of affairs,” literally, “state in which.” I heard Brave on K-Love , so I offer the warning that the lyrics given here are for a Christian song. Note that the first line of this song is a nice example of asyndeton, lack of a conjunction to join two independent clauses. If you are curious about contemporary Christian music, I encourage you to look up a review of Brave to receive the full effect of the song.

No comments:

Post a Comment