Proverbs/CATS

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Via Latin


At the Ovens Natural Park yesterday evening in Bayport, Nova Scotia, I spied a good-sized RV called a Via made by Winnebago on a Mercedes Benz chassis. This is the second occurrence this week for a via connection, as earlier in the week I learned that train service in Canada is called VIA Rail Canada.The Latin noun via, viae f. way, path, road is the source of these names. Via is a good name for an RV, as one must travel by way of roads to reach any destination. Via is also a good name for a rail service, as it provides a way of travel. In English we also use the word via as a preposition to mean "by way of," as "I am travelling to Montreal via VIA Rail Canada." In English we also use two pronunciations of via, both VAHYuh and VEEuh. I would love to travel via RV or train, but for right now I will enjoy the beauty of the Nova Scotia seaside.

No comments:

Post a Comment