Proverbs/CATS

Friday, March 25, 2011

Pop Culture

Yesterday on a day trip to Lee, Massachusetts, a friend and I sought out an antiques store specializing in finds from the 1950s. We found the store, but it was closed. Nevertheless outside the shop was a dented beverage cooler with an advertising name of Dirigo. I wished I had my camera, but tucked the name away for further investigation today. Here you can see an old label from a Dirigo Bottling Company product, and here you can read a little about the company. Earlier I had written about Dirigo kayak/canoe models; I guess residents of Maine find their one-word motto (Latin dīrigō, I direct) a handy name for all kinds of things. If you watch on television a news conference that takes place in Maine, you can sometimes see the word on the Maine flag.

No comments:

Post a Comment