Proverbs/CATS

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Big Cheese

I laughed out loud when I saw a toasty orange vehicle go past me on my way home on the Saw Mill Parkway on Friday afternoon, February 19th. I was marvelling at the orange color, and then I read the license plate: QUESO, the Spanish word for cheese. Really, the car was the color of the kind of melted orange cheese you might find on a perfectly baked macaroni and cheese. And the Latin connection is that queso comes from the Latin word cāseus, -ī m. cheese, which, according to the Oxford Latin Dictionary, can also be used as a term of endearment. Years ago one of my first students at my current school was talking about taking The Cheese home from school; she was referring to her square little schoolbus, also a yellow-orange vehicle.

2 comments:

  1. that's very funny. I am trying to get the visual on this and was wondering if you knew the type of car.

    -Dan G.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My guess is something like a Honda Element. I think it was rectangular and van-like. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete